Saturday, April 28, 2007

Oh God, we are so lame

Here's a link that will make you feel like you've wasted your life (as a librarian): Google news search for "librarian."
I don't know what I was expecting to find, but on this particular morning when I did that search, here is what I got:

Librarian says goodbye
FHSU University Leader, KS - Apr 26, 2007
About a gov docs librarian's retirement and unlike any Raymond Chandler "Goodbye," no one pulls a gun, a gat, a heater, or even a roscoe.

New librarian aims to digitize documents
Brattleboro Reformer, VT - Apr 27, 2007
Woo-hoo. There'll be a hot time in the old town tonight.

Porterville librarian to retire
Fresno Bee (subscription), CA - 22 hours ago
"I love to read; when I do I put myself right in the book, I'm a complete part of it, I'm living it," the retiring librarian says. Funny, if you substitute watching television for reading, this quote no longer sounds quaint, but crazy: "I love watching TV; when I do I put myself right in the program, I'm a complete part of it, I'm living it." And if you add any comment about daytime dramas, you reveal yourself to be completely insane: "When I watch my stories, why, I become Baroness Whitney Chesterfield Butternut, the third."