Monday, April 30, 2007

Beedy Beedy Beedy

First of all, I want to point out the tag for this item, which is "metal ass." That's all. Now you've seen it, good.
As for the story, here it is:
Robots - the new librarians
Concord Monitor, NH
This story is only about how one library solved its space problem by storing materials in bins that only a robot can access. This is another story I got from a Google news search. Google must love this story because they want to digitize everything to make it easier for people to access. With ads.
I don't really have a problem with Google digitizing everything; it'll put these poor robots out of a job, but that's progress. I just have a problem with not knowing whether the electronic format is identical to the original. I really need to see the book or microfilm to confirm that I got what I got. So I still need that source material. Which is good news to the robots who can keep their jobs to feed their robot children and not put them on the streets to more efficiently steal my car radio.
But that's just one library. Not every library has robots. We don't. I don't think I want a robot doing my job for me. I like to get up an move around once in a while. You have to. Nobody told me that when I became a librarian I'd sit so much that I'd need a metal ass.