Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Carole Lombard: Librarian.

So I just watched No Man of Her Own with Clark Gable and Carole Lombard, before they were married in real life. Or at least I watched until Carole marries him in the movie and tries to mend his evil ways. Then I got bored. Okay, let me FF through the thing to see if I'm missing anything... yeah, just what I thought, he cleans himself up, and she can't manage to find a store that sells bras... don't you love those pre-Code movies...

Carole plays a restless librarian, bored with her small town life. She likes to go out drinking and dancing with her friends, but her parents won't let her. Yes, she lives with her parents. Each morning, on her way to work, she rolls dice against the news stand operator to win a pack of gum.

When she meets Gable, he asks her to get a book from the top shelf so he can peek up her dress to read her spine label. The nerve of some men. Who hasn't had that happen in the library, ladies? That's why the.effing.librarian always wears pants. Oh, who am I kidding? You know I wear skirts because I love the attention. Am I right, ladies? And my panties say, "If you can read this, you can buy me a drink."


When Gable corners her in the stacks, she tells him his personality would be great to sprinkle on flowers to make them grow. But then he nails her with, "What do you do with all the hearts you break?" and plants a big, wet one on her.

Check out the "library" where Lombard works, how do they find anything? And where are the Internet computers? Oh, I guess they have wi-fi. Look at her stance; you just know she can't remember where she left her whisky flask.



Here is a clip: