Thursday, September 11, 2008

the.effing.librarian doesn't care about much.

It's not that I don't care about much; I only care about a few things. I'm not a person who gets involved with numerous causes or events. I can't sustain the interest.

Do you know what it's like to stop caring? I don't mean about the world or life; I mean about anything. Have you ever been able to look at something that used to mean something and just say, "Feh"?

I must be getting old. I can still get excited about getting in the car and driving for 2 or 3 hours to do something cool, but I don't want to be in the car for 5 hours. I can't think of anything I care about enough to drive for 5 hours.

Even online shopping, the ultimate cultural achievement for this current civilization, doesn't thrill me. I find myself filling numerous online shopping carts, only to abandon them in the virtual aisles prior to submitting my order. I imagine annoyed digital shopkeepers replacing all that merchandise and cursing my IP address. "That bastard from 67.158.23.7 never buys anything. He just wanders around my store then stinks up the bathroom."

I keep finding things, possession, objects, that used to mean something, that used to be important. But not any more.

It's like I could just start walking and never look back.

Right now, I have about five things I care about. So I don't have any plans to disappear. They consume 100% of my time and energy. But "the.effing.librarian" is not in that list.

What brought on this bout of moroseness? Dunno.

If I could figure it out, I think I could care about that.