Thursday, September 11, 2008

Oh, have you noticed this from The Associated Press?

I was just reading one of their stories and it has this at the bottom:
"Copyright 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed."

What the hell is that? I understand that they want to protect their journalism, but not allowing something to be "rewritten" or "redistributed," whatthefuckisthat?

Doesn't copyright law allow me to rewrite something? And what about facts? Is this like that old phone book copyright argument about who owns the names in the phone book? So the phone company put bogus names in the phone books to keep people from stealing (what they claimed was) their property? Is the AP injecting bogus facts into their stories to keep me and anyone else from stealing their stories?

And what does "redistributed" mean? I can't tell anyone about the story? It doesn't even allow redistribution with permission. And I saw the story on the USA Today site. So USA Today violated the terms of the copyright? Or, again, do they just mean me (us), the great unwashed, the thieves of the Internet who suck at the teat of another's labors?

Screw you, Associated Press.