The Rowling-Vander Ark trial just learned me that blogging does not pay because "He [Vander Ark] said his Web site was hardly a gold mine, having earned about $6,500 from advertising from 2000 to 2007, though he estimated that it had been visited by 1.5 million to 2 million readers a month."
That's gross? Or is that net profit? I always thought these people with millions of hits made tons of money. So now I wonder what the hell I do this for.
Strike that. I never did this for money. I sell shirts, but I don't mark up the prices; I don't make anything from the sales. I just think it's a funny slogan. And I haven't compiled all this crap into a book, although I still might. But man, to think that all those visits never produce a decent income is depressing. No wonder he wants to publish that book.
And I'm not a social person. At gatherings, I like to get a plate of lasagna from the buffet and stand in the corner sipping a bourbon and Coke. Unless my friends are there, then there's a real chance I'll get crazy drunk and dance and tell jokes and make the fool, even at a funeral where I could end up swapping clothes with the deceased. (Sorry dad, I know you wanted to be buried in your favorite suit.)
I see some people blogging long, detailed posts, emotional, joyful, regretful, angry posts with very few or no comments. And I think, good for you for not simply linking to pictures of JK Rowling's boob popping out and tagging it with whorish keywords.
And for the most part, I feel that social networking sites are for crap, with all the stuff you need to enter into your profile just to look up a high school friend. It's like being invited to go to a fun costume party but told to dress as your favorite fifteenth century cartographer. Screw it, I'm going as a pirate.
So thanks for stopping by. You ain't making me rich, but you're welcome just the same.