Friday, September 21, 2007

Why free public libraries will disappear

Here's a story about Washington D.C. library "computer squatters."

The library has Internet available to the public, with use limits, and some people have figured out how to get around the limits to stay on the computers all day.

Now, here's what I don't understand:

It’s easy to beat the system, though; he [the librarian] knows exactly how it’s done.

The library has three core groups of customers: students, government workers, and homeless people, according to a longtime librarian who asked not to be named.

One librarian reports that about once a month, “a professional” will complain that people are just playing around on the computers. “I just remind them there’s a Kinko’s down the street,” she says.


So the library has 3 main groups of people: two groups of non-property-tax payers and one group of (presumably) property-owning and tax-paying professionals. And the librarian chooses to piss off the one who pays her salary(?).

Or maybe they have other funding. Maybe the big tobacco companies or GoldenPalace.com or the NRA writes the checks. I don't know.

A big chunk of our budget comes from local property taxes, so I try not anger the ones who pay them. Living out of my 1974 Buick LeSabre, and washing my library work clothes in one of three 5-gallon pickle buckets in my trunk (I won't tell you what the other two are for), I appreciate that others own property and are willing to pay for public services. If you want to be a smartass to someone, do it to the students. They have their whole lives ahead of them; they might as well learn now that it's going to suck. A lot.