Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Love your librarian: Me.

This will be the third year that I will nominate myself for the "I Love My Librarian" award. And this time I expect to win.

I think my problem with my previous applications began with the severe limitations within the very first box:
1. Please tell us in 2-3 sentences why your nominee should win this award. What sets him/her apart? (Response limited to 100 words)
100 words? Is this the, I Love My Twitter Librarian Award?

How can I lie about my accomplishments using only 100 words? Maybe if they were really big words. But how do I work in "antidisestablishmentarianism" to answer that question? And what the hell does that word have to do with librarians anyway? Unless I can redefine it to mean the opposition to the disestablishment of public libraries. That could work. Paste that baby in 40 or 50 times and I'm sure to win.

But now that I read the guidelines for nominations, I'm not so sure I'll nominate myself after all. Because I don't understand this part:
I am a librarian/work in a library. Can I nominate my colleague?
In the spirit of this unique award and in honoring the relationship between library users and librarians, only library users should submit nominations.
I never realized that librarians could not be library users. There is a discussion going on at LISNews as to whether convicted sex offenders should be allowed to use public libraries, but I never considered whether librarians should be allowed to use public libraries.

As a librarian, I wonder if I need to tell someone that I've been using the library. If only I'd paid attention in library school, I bet they covered that part in class.