Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Minus the "E"

Consider these questions:
  1. What is the correct procedure for borrowing and reading a book from the library? Do I need a library card to get one?
  2. I did it once a while ago, but I can't remember how. How are the books organized? Can I find them by author?
  3. And what do I do after I have the book? How do I open it? Is it intuitive? How do I advance through it?
  4. I'm also interested in bookmarking in case I stop reading for a while: will the book remember where I left off or is there something else I need to do?
  5. And when I've finished with it, what do I do? Does it get returned immediately, or do I need to do something? Does the book just disappear when my time is up?
These all seem like legitimate questions with the "E" added. Remove it and you sound like an idiot.

So why does adding the "E" to the word "Book" suddenly make all these questions seem normal? E-book, normal questions. Regular book, crazy questions.

Really? 3, 4 and 5 seem normal to you with the word "book"? Where the hell do you work?