Friday, January 22, 2010

How do you feel about the real world?

All things being equal, wouldn't you rather be somewhere less crowded?

I need to find an article that explains the psychology behind social networking sites. In the real world, I don't like crowds. I don't eat at restaurants when there's a 45-minute wait. I don't go to clubs where there's a line out the door (unless I'm with someone who gets me into the side door). If it means going without something because there's a long line, then I don't want whatever it is the line is for.

I don't know about you, but I'm guessing that if you're over 22, you don't like crowds either. But I don't think I have a phobia, I just don't need lots of people around.

But we all want to be online where everyone else is. And you want your online space to be as crowded as possible. And I'm not sure why that is. Why is Facebook so popular when it is so damn crowded?

Why does barren virtual space feel like a waste of time, but an empty, secluded beach or field or mountain top feel like paradise?

Is the reverse true? Do people who love crowds also hate Facebook?

Is it because social sites aren't perceived as being crowded? Since you only "see" the people you want to see? In fact, most of us want to see more people and for more people to see us. And these "people" we meet are mostly by choice.

I just find it interesting that in the real world I prefer small groups of friends, but online, I want to be part of the largest party possible.

If you love big parties or crowded dance floors or standing in Times Square on New Year's Eve, then how do you feel about sites like Facebook or Twitter? Do they suck for you? Do people who love to be with real people hate being with virtual people?

Maybe you hate Facebook, but couldn't explain why. Maybe I'm helping. Yes, for once this blog is helping someone with something! Hooray, me!