Monday, November 24, 2008

the.effing.librarian's guide to making friends and influencing people.

I don't try to make new friends. Or if I do, I usually go about it the wrong way. I can't tell you how many times I met someone new by asking, "If I untie you, will you promise not to scream?"

But I have this blog so I can make friends with the world. And I have another blog on LISNews.

I don't know why more librarians don't take advantage of Blake's generosity by creating blogs at LISNews. I met Blake last week and he told me that he's asked librarians repeatedly to create and post to a blog there, but they decline. I don't know why.

I've gotten a lot of exposure from what I post on LISNews. Lots of other indexing sites pick up my post and repost it or index it do something with it that increases my visibility on the Internet.

If you want people to see what you blog, then consider adding a blog at LISNews. If you read my posts, I mostly cross-post the same stories from my Blogger site. If I think a story is extra-funny or interesting I add it to my blog at LISNews. So you don't have to create new content. And more people will get to know who you are and then visit your other blog.

When I went to FSU, I didn't know anyone there. I started in January and anyone who wanted a friend already got one at the beginning of the semester. So my first day in the dorm I got a pizza and shared it with the people watching TV. Sure, they ate all the pizza then beat me up and took my wallet because I was in library school, but I never gave up. The next pizza I brought them was covered with poisonous mushrooms, and that night I had the TV all to myself.