Friday, October 17, 2008

Art Spiegelman

One of the artists scheduled to appear at the Miami Book Fair is Art Spiegelman. And Art is the featured artist commissioned to design this year's book fair poster.

But to promote his new graphic novels (or comics) for a children's publishing venture, he's using the characters from his book, Jack and the Box for the poster art.

I don't like this book. It's not funny. So I don't know how, as a parent, I could read this to a child if I don't think it's funny.

Remember, Art Spiegelman wrote Maus, which isn't funny. And it won lots of awards. Maybe he just isn't funny. And if he's not funny, then why try with kids? Maybe he should stick to what he knows.

So here is what I think his new kiddie book would look like if Art wrote it more like Maus and added the Nazi threat:




Here is the original so you can compare: