Monday, September 8, 2008

How do you get a sports team to promote reading?

My girlfriend loves a series of books called Betsy-Tacy.

(I was going to make a joke about how it isn't odd for her to love that series because she's only eight years old. But I'm not Bob Saget, so I didn't think I could get away with it. Bob is a filthy bastard.)

Long story, short, I suggested that she write to one of the sports teams in Minnesota to ask them if they could find a way to promote authors of children's books from their home state (since Maud Hart Lovelace, the author of the Betsy books, was from Minnesota).

I figured it would be an easy task to get every professional sports team (don't care which: baseball, football, kickball) to wear a patch or a sticker on their uniforms to promote reading. And each team would pick a children's author from their home state.

The Betsy-Tacy books struck me as funny because most of the artwork associated with the books is of images of little girls in frilly dresses with bows in their pig-tailed hair. And it would be hilarious to see Betsy and Tacy holding hands on the back of a Vikings helmet.

I don't know what authors are from which states, except that Dr. Seuss was from Massachusetts. I guess it doesn't really matter if the authors are living or dead.

But it sounds like it would make a good partnership: professional sports teams promote both reading and their home state to kids. Players could read to kids. And kids would learn that steroids make them big and strong. It's a win-win.