Sunday, September 7, 2008

Google at 10: "I can see your heinie."

I was a big trash picker when I was ten. My friends and I would ride our bikes around and dig through people's trash piles to look for good stuff. This wasn't their regular garbage; this was their junk like magazines, photos, clothes, old and broken stuff. Once I found a cardboard box of old black and white photos of naked people. Just thrown out in the trash like nobody cared. Like nobody would even look for them. It was one of the first times that I was conscious of other people, that stuff went on in all those houses on my block.

I was ten, and finding this stuff was cool.

Once when I was confined to my house because of an injury, I spied my neighbor digging a large hole in his flower bed. When I learned that his wife was missing, I kept spying until I found out that he'd killed her and hid her body in that hole. And when the killer discovered that I knew everything, he came to kill me, but I blinded him with the flash from my camera and the police arrested him. Oh, wait, that wasn't me, that was Jimmy Stewart.

Anyway, I watched people through binoculars, same thing. (Did I say "watched"? No, I still do it. And did I say "binoculars"? I mean, telescope.)

So now that Google is ten years old (incorporated 9/7/1998), what do you thing it's doing?

Google just launched an imaging satellite into orbit. Google's new eyeball can "...collect imagery that can distinguish objects on the Earth's surface as small as 0.41-meters or about 16 inches in size."

A quick check of the spread of my ass shows that it's big enough that Google will soon be making birds-eye views of my sweet booty available to the world. I'm going out to lie down in the backyard right now. You lucky people.