Wednesday, August 27, 2008

The worst $8 I ever spent

Forgive me, but I just spent money on the DVD for the movie Pathfinder.

I saw the original (1987) version at a film festival and also owned it on VHS until it was lost in some box of crap that I can't remember where I stored it. But I see there are some clips around, so I guess I'll have to settle for watching those for now.

The original movie is like Star Wars in its simplicity: it's a coming of age movie with a powerful villain and an untested hero.

But this new version is a bowl of crap-flavored crap dusted with powdered crap. I'm certain there was a recipe, but each ingredient was another variety of crap.

This movie isn't pleasant to watch; it's not fun; it's not sexy; it's not violent in any good way that only digital effects can screw up, blood just seems to splash around without any consequence of physics. If there is anything good you can say about this movie, I don't know what language you would use because I only know English, and I couldn't come up with any.