Saturday, March 8, 2008

How drunk am I?

So the other day at work I looked at the shelf of new books that we get for a few days to preview before they get put out in the stacks and I saw this, The Portable Wil Wheaton. And the first thing I thought is damn, is this all from that dude's blog? Then I thought, no way, that's supposed to be Walt Whitman. Yes, I know that's Walt Whitman. Then I thought, why the hell did I think, Wil Wheaton? Am I really that much of a Star Trek nerd? And then I thought, why do I even know who Wil Wheaton is?

So now I'm totally confused. Who wrote:

BATHED in war’s perfume—delicate flag!
(Should the days needing armies, needing fleets, come again,)
O to hear you call the sailors and the soldiers! flag like a beautiful woman!
O to hear the tramp, tramp, of a million answering men!
O the ships they arm with joy!
O to see you leap and beckon from the tall masts of ships!
O to see you peering down on the sailors on the decks!
Flag like the eyes of women.
And who wrote:

For the moment, though, the sun is shining, the birds are singing, U2 is in heavy rotation on Airtunes*, and there's an empty seat on the other side of the wall with my name on it.
Enjoy the weekend, wherever you are. If you're in the US, don't forget that our idiot government decided to make Daylight Savings time start a month early -- tonight Saturday night / Sunday morning. Spring forward for great justice!

"Flag like the eyes of women" or "Spring forward for great justice!"

Sorry Walt, but this time Wil wins. Make it so, beeyatch!

If anyone knows Wil, tell him he won and can add this limited edition badge to his blog.