Thursday, February 21, 2008

Bear with me.

So the big argument this week was about the role of libraries (ok, it was just me in the shower using a Squirtle toy and a Bender toy to battle it out) as either traditional information sources or bookstores-slash-arcades.

But afterward, when I was sitting on my bed with my two bestest friends, Hillbeary Clinton and Bearack Obama, my stuffed bears from the Build-A-Bear Workshop, I was flipping through Maxine Clark's (the founder of the aforementioned bear company) The Bear Necessities of Business and saw this chapter: "Don't Cater to all Audiences," which says,
Growth can be a tricky thing... No matter the outside pressures nor how tempting success is, you must stay focused on serving your core customer group... Attracting different customers and broadening your focus beyond your core user is a disastrous way to grow.

I just wanted to add that to the discussion. And I did. And I don't remember which position he took, but Bender beat Squirtle's ass.