Monday, December 10, 2007

I apologize to the gamer librarians!!!!

I'm sorry for saying you are deluded, that teens don't like you. I'm sorry for saying you are uncool. And I'm really sorry for taking your lunch money all those times in middle school.

Because I just saw the video (well I was able to watch 5:00 of the 8:30 runtime) of the online, instructional game, Defense of Hidgeon: The Plague Years. And now I know there is something worse than DDR, something much worse.
There's a thing called The Storygame Project from the U. of Michigan that was mentioned on the shifted librarian. And they say it's a game. That's the word they use: game. You move around a board visiting libraries and doing homework. For real. You visit little pixelated libraries and then research the questions they give. The goal seems to be to have the least amount of fun possible until the day you can visit a real library and have even less.
With all the research going on, you'd think someone could have googled the word "game." Okay, my bad; Wikipedia says this: "A game is a structured or semi-structured activity, usually undertaken for enjoyment and sometimes also used as an educational tool." So I guess fun isn't necessarily required.
So play your game, young researcher. Maybe you can qualify to be called Lord Researcher, Defender of Hidgeon, admired by all, until some drunken knight pulls your pants down in front of all the ladies.

So forgive me, gamers. I didn't think there could be anything worse than a 35-yr. old librarian slinging a plastic guitar controller with a Fall Out Boy faceplate. Well, actually there isn't. That is sad.