Tuesday, November 6, 2007

What good is your social network?

I was just reading something that had me thinking about the social networks of my grandparents.
From what I remember of my grandmother, she would have spent a lot of her time talking to a neighbor or local grocer, and most of her time at church.
And that had me thinking: the social networks of my grandparents were smaller and more intimate. In this fake effing life, I've met only a few people whom I would like to see in person (so that they could tell how hilarious I am and then buy me a beer). Even in my real life, in my Facebook, Goodreads, LibraryThing, Second Life, and Ning networks, I've made no friendships or shared intimate relationships with any other real people.

My grandparents had social networks filled with those they needed and loved; and they were promised, if they strengthened them and cherished those in the networks, that they would be judged worthy of getting into Heaven.

In my current networks, someone might send me a funny picture of a cat.