Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Library 2.0 owes it all to a stripper.

Ahem, Burlesque Queen.

We here at the effing labs have thought long and hard about Library 2.0 and realized that everything about it can be explained by watching the movie Gypsy, starring Natalie Wood. We've been evaluating the components of Library 2.0 and realized that everything we once thought was new, can now be traced back to a film made in 1962 and even to the Broadway show from 1959 if you want to get picky.

So to redefine Library 2.0 as it is now understood, we'd like to introduce Library Rose Lee™.

We've heard librarians complain about change. But Library Rose Lee is based on the second oldest profession, so it isn't really about change, it's about giving the customer what he wants, about putting it out there and bringing to him, or her, one glove at a time.

Library Rose Lee is for the customers. You can't be afraid to let it all out if you want to get paid.
Library Rose Lee is constantly changing, in front of everyone, taking it off, taking it all off .
Library Rose Lee is about technology and having a gimmick. As Electra (the stripper with the lights) says about her use of technology:
"Me, I uh... and I uh... And I uh...uh...uh... But I do it with a switch. I'm electrifying and I ain't even trying. I never had to sweat to get paid. 'Cause if you got a gimmick, Libr'y girl, you got it made."
Library Rose Lee is political. As demonstrated in this speech from Gypsy to her Mama, all the tenets of the Library Rose philosophy are there, the constant change, the play, the virtual world, how completely and melodramatically she's adopted it, and how if you don't buy into it, you might as well go back to Vaudeville:
"I'm moving. Maybe up maybe down. But wherever it is, I'm enjoying it.I'm having the time of my life. Because for the first time, it is my life. And I love it. I love every Second Life of it. And I'll be damned if you're going to take it away from me. I am Library Rose Lee and I love her. And if you don't, you can just clear out now."
Some people say that using Library Rose Lee is to have no talent, but to have no talent is not enough. As Gypsy says, "if you're real good, I'll make you feel good. I'm very versatile."
Library Rose Lee is about change, about putting it on and taking it all off over and over again, day after day and night after night.

But let's let the gals at Library Rose Lee™ say it because they say it best:

ALL: Do something special. Anything special. And you'll get better because... You're more than just a mimic when you got a gimmick. Take a look how different we are!

Electra: If you wanna make it, twinkle while you shake it.

Tura: If you wanna grind it, wait till you've refined it by jumping on the DDR.

Mazeppa: If you wanna crump it, bump it with a trumpet! (Guitar Hero, anyone?)

ALL: Get yourself a gimmick and you too, can be a star!
[from You Gotta Have a Gimmick]


Library Rose Lee™ is a trademark of Halliburton, We Own the World. Be Glad we let you Live in it®.

[The above is for educational purposes; you learned something didn't ya? Didn't ya! Mama! Mama!]