Friday, November 30, 2007

Baby, I can drive my car.

I'm agoraphobic, so I have a friend who films himself driving around, and then I watch the video so I can see what it's like to be outside on the open road.

No, I'm just kidding. I don't have any friends.

[Cough.] Anyway, with the whole 2.0 thingy at our library, I figured it was time to learn to upload a video. Don't ask why, but I like to record when I drive. I just think it looks cool. If I have the camera in the car, I'll just point it at the front window and shoot for a minute or two. There's no real point; I just like to do it. I know it probably isn't safe, and it's not even funny. It won't be funny until I lose control of the car and crash. Then it'll be hilarious. But then I won't be able to upload it because I'll be dead: Oh, the Irony!

You don't need to watch; it's just road going by.

If I can provide any instruction from this, here it goes:
I shot the video with a normal digital camera that saved the file in the .mov format.
Then I used Nero Vision Express 3 to edit the .mov file by trimming some seconds and adding the titles and exporting the result as mpeg-2. This took me from the original 143 meg .mov file to a 35 meg .mpg file that still looked pretty good. It didn't take very long at all.

Oh, and the song is "Teenage Electric" by the Circle Jerks. Really? I think my mom bought that album for me.