Friday, November 13, 2009

basic web crap.

I know there are lots of ways to download images and videos from the Internet. I have a Firefox extension that downloads and I have Tubesucker. And I know how to right-click (yes, this is Windows).

But there are times when I'm not on my computer and I need to download a hidden or secret or unavailable file and there doesn't seem to be any way to get it right then and there.

So this has helped:

(<)html(>)
(<)body(>)
(<)a href="http:// "(>) right-click and save as (<)/a(>)
(<)/body(>)
(<)/html(>)

Obviously, you need to remove the parentheses, but I couldn't get the text to display properly without them. Put that in Notepad or any text editor and save it with a .htm extension.

I say now, I Am Not a Geek, or a h4x0r; I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her. So there may be easier ways to do this, but there are many times when I've scanned the Source of a web page to find the file I need and then copied or compiled the URL from known pieces and pasted it into a simple file like this to get the download.

If you know a better way, let me know. Or maybe I just shouldn't be downloading these kinds of files.

... okay... assume you just saw a video or an animation of something, but there's no way to save a copy, and since this is the Internet, you assume, like me, that everything on it is free for the taking.

so you look at the source for the web page and see something simple like "/videos/123456.flv" and you think, hey, this is where the video is stored. so you add that to the web page URL you're on, like www.dontstealmyvideosyoudamnthief.com and you get www.dontstealmyvideosyoudamnthief.com/videos/123456.flv.

so you paste that whole address into the quotes area in the html file you see above and hit Ctrl-S to save it. then open the file and it will open up in your default browser where you can then right-click on the hypertext link and left-click "Save target as" or "save link as" or whatever it says.

again, not really a big deal, unless you are like me and think that everything on the web is yours to keep. there's more and more stuff that's impossible to get like this, but there are still tons of avi, mov, flv, swf files out there that are easy to grab this way.

have fun. but don't steal other people's stuff. the above is for educational use only and not for any purpose explicitly spelled out in the post. wherever you see the words "steal" or "take," just assume the author meant to add, "do not" before it. any misunderstandings will be attributed to typographical error or poor translations or computer error.

think happy thoughts.