Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Journalist Outlines Must-Read List.

A library in Topeka, Kansas has restricted access to four books that it judged to be too "boner inducing" to minors. Those were their words, not mine.

Ric Anderson (I guess he's the local columnist) points to many other books in the library collection that have more than a little chubby-nurturing erotica:

"Jackie Collins' 2008 book Married Lovers, which Entertainment Weekly described as 'skanky.'" "[T]here are more than 600 books relating directly to sex, sex instruction, sexual behavior and fertility. There's even a book about sex in the Bible." And there's a biographical account of "a boozy pool party where every guest was nude and some openly had sex. The subject of that bio? President John F. Kennedy."
The focus of the article is that the Topeka (or Shawnee County Public Library, or both -- dunno which board Anderson means) library has limited access to these four titles:
Sex for Busy People, The Lesbian Kama Sutra, The Joy of Sex and The Joy of Gay Sex, all of which I have only to say, "Own it, own it, own it, own it." (Yes, in my personal library, right here by my desk, on the same shelf with PCs for Dummies and The Buccaneers, oh, and what's this? Fame and Fortune and Other F Words, my recently published book. How did that get there?)

So with Anderson's help, I now have 603 books to add to my reading list. But I think I'll start with that Jackie Collins trash. You know, just to get it out of the way.