Thursday, August 28, 2008

Why haven't you embraced the "Q"?

So I just get the email from Facebook (yes, the.effing.librarian is on Facebook. no, I don't remember why.) that "Mayra added you as a friend on Facebook." And Mayra says, "Hi! Latina LGBT author, reaching out to librarians interested in diversity."

And the first thing that popped into my head was, "LGBT? What about the Q?"

Ever since I saw the book, Serving lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and questioning teens : a how-to-do-it manual for librarians, I've wondered how important the Q might be in the LGBT community.

I mean, Q is just for questioning. From what I understand, that's pretty much everyone. I remember talking to my friend Efram in seventh grade about whether we might end up gay because no girls liked us. And we wondered if Spock was gay. And I think we drew pictures of Kirk and Spock doing it. So yeah, I would say the Q applied to us.

And from what I hear, the Q applies to most freshman college girls. Or at least, that's what it looks like in those videos, which I've never seen personally. Nope, not me.

So what about the Q? Do members of the LGBT community take the Q seriously?