Monday, December 3, 2007

Poisoning Google

I didn't realize Google was sick, but I see an article on 'GOOGLE POISONING'

I always leave the Status bar turned on because I use it the same way as "caller ID." When I teach my basic Internet class, I tell the students that it's a good practice to look at the Status bar to confirm that the link they want to click is going to the place they expect. Now I wonder if this "Google cloaking," (which tricks the search engine into displaying the wrong URL on search results) also displays false info in the Status bar.

It's been so long since I've seen a bogus search link. I've been using the Internet so long that bad links become invisible to me. Besides, who clicks on links that say uykkjilloknm56tg.cn or links that are 300 characters long?

Anyway, I guess that's why I continue to teach the same classes month after month. As long as the Internet remains an effed-up opium den, I'll always have a job.