Saturday, December 29, 2007

Banned from using my XO

So I got my XO laptop today and already I've been asked by the governments of ten countries to stop using it. In case you don't know, the XO is the computer that is part of the one laptop per child initiative for donating a specially-designed laptop to each child in developing nations. It has a built-in receiver/transmitter that allows it to connect to a "mesh" online network so kids can share and communicate with other kids all over the world. And I've been banned from using mine. But it really wasn't my fault. I mean there's lots of food around the house: chocolate, mashed potatoes, gravy, ham, and the Slim Jims used to decorate the tree. And you can't blame me for being naked in my own house. Or for getting a little sloppy when I eat and getting chocolate and raspberry fondue smeared all over my face and chest. And it's not my fault that right out of the box, the XO finds the network and connects to the Internet. And it's really not my fault that it's very easy to enable the camera function that took the video of my naked chocolate and raspberry covered body and beamed it out to children in developing nations all over the world.
So I'm not sure why Peru, Uruguay, Afghanistan, Brazil, Rwanda, Libya, Thailand, Cambodia, Detroit, and Costa Rica got so upset. That could have happened to anyone. And it's still not clear whether I've been banned for being naked or for looking like I was covered in blood or for spilling more food on myself than most of these children get in a week. But I'm not sorry. I'm American, that's what we do. Shower in food.