Thursday, November 29, 2007

Another degree of Slavery

This is cool. Adobe is going to make a free version of Photoshop available on the Web.
Like Adobe Remix, the hosted Photoshop service is set to be free and marketed as an entry-level version of Adobe's more sophisticated image-editing tools, including Photoshop and Photoshop Elements.

I can't wait. Since I already work for Google and Facebook and LibraryThing for free, I need another company to exploit my labors.

Obviously, the trend it to have us use programs that increase visibility for corporations (free advertising), yet allow them to maintain brand solvency. We edit photos which tag them with the product information and possibly unique markers which allow for the company to build a searchable database of items, and we do this work for free. Then the corporation can use that database to expand its capital by quantifying the value of the assets in dollars. We labor for no payment; they profit. I think that's slavery. Or serfdom.

We are told that use of the product is payment. My profile in Facebook allows me to meet other nerds. My Gmail allows me to update other nerds on the progress of the Watchmen movie. And all these things have a specific dollar value to these companies that is not equal to the utility provided to me. If Facebook is valued at $15 billion and there are 15 billion users, I guess I don't feel so bad that my profile is worth a dollar: I shouldn't feel that they exploit me then. But if the number of users means that my profile is worth $250, I want my cut. In cash.

So I look forward to another company exploiting the working class. Because soon we will rise up. Rise up. Rise up! Well, not me. I just had one-too-many beers and I'm feeling sleepy (yes, I know it's 7 a.m., so what.) But you go ahead. I'll catch up later. Power, baby.


But as far as the program is concerned, I'm looking forward to it. I need help. I suck at using layers. I can only think one-dimensionally.

I really want to use the program to edit all of my Kate Jackson photos: remember, she was the smart Angel, Sabrina Duncan. I always wanted to be smart like her, except I wanted Farrah's hair. And now that I'm a beautiful, successful librarian, both my wishes have come true.