Thursday, August 2, 2007

You gotta listen to your heart

So I was taking a shower this morning (really? you've got to stop doing that; people come close if you smell nice), and I started wondering about the state of the world.

And I realized that Star Wars is right.

Star Trek pretended to solve all of our problems. And they were always trying to get other worlds to join the Federation. The Federation was sooo superior to other cultures. Even after TOS, some races still wouldn't join up and support the cause:

“Go to hell, Picard," you can hear the spacethingy say, “now when I get sick, I get to stay home, relax, and watch Zontarian Idol, and you want to take that away from me! Get off my planet. Do you think your photon torpedoes can stop me before I plant my three-toed web foot up your butt? You bald jerk.”
So Star Wars got it right. The bad news is that we're living on the Death Star. And there's nothing we can do about it.

Like they said in Clerks:

(The Blue-Collar Man joins them.)
Blue-Collar Man: Excuse me. I don't mean to interrupt, but what were you talking about?

Randal: The ending of Return of the Jedi.

Dante: My friend is trying to convince me that any contractors working on the uncompleted Death Star were innocent victims when the space station was destroyed by the rebels.

...deleted matter...

Blue-Collar Man: ...(pauses to reflect) You know, any contractor willing to work on that Death Star knew the risks. If they were killed, it was their own fault. A roofer listens to this... (taps his heart) not his wallet.

With all the aggression in the world, this has to be the answer. We all just sell shoes and repair video games and make pancakes and do research and make coffee and breed beagles and restock breakfast cereals someplace on the Death Star.

We're just going through the motions, waiting for Darth Vader to return:

"Hello, Mr. Vader. Welcome to Starrbuxx. Your usual?"

I just hope he doesn't send his cousin, Darth Chuck.