Sunday, July 22, 2007

Oh, the humanity!

I was just watching one of my favorite movies, Deep Red (or Profondo rosso or The Hatchet Murders or any combination of the three, depending on how the title was used).

And in it, David Hemmings goes to a library of folklore to read up on local haunted houses. When he finds a useful page, he looks around to see if he's alone then tears out the page!

I don't remember when book destruction started to bother me, but now I notice it more. If I see an episode of The Rockford Files where Jim tears a page from the phone book, I think, "no, Jim, don't!"

Most people don't think this is bad, but you're removing information so others can't access it. If the government did this, people would freak. Is it the intent that matters? Jim wants the number, but doesn't have a pen, so it's okay to tear out the page. But the government wants to keep something secret from the public and removes the page, so that's not okay?

Both piss me off.

Anyway, still love Deep Red. Still watch Rockford when I can find it. Still pay my taxes to the government. I guess being pissed off doesn't mean what it used to. I must be getting old. Oh, the humanity.